In compliance with Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947 UAS operators shall register themselves:
(a) when operating within the ‘open’ category any of the following unmanned aircraft:
- with a MTOM of 250 g or more, or, which in the case of an impact can transfer to a human kinetic energy above 80 Joules;
- that is equipped with a sensor able to capture personal data, unless it complies with Directive 2009/48/EC.
(b) when operating within the ‘specific’ category an unmanned aircraft of any mass.
UAS operators shall register themselves in the Member State where they have their residence for natural persons or where they have their principal place of business for legal persons and ensure that their registration information is accurate. A UAS operator cannot be registered in more than one Member State at a time.
After the registration a unique digital registration number for UAS operators is issued. The unique UAS operator digital registration number consists of 16 alphanumeric carachters in total, e.g. BGRpxs4wvrvpbp63-duz, arranged as follows:
1) the first 3 alphanumerics (upper-case only) corresponding to the code of the Member State of registration;
2) followed by 13 alphanumeric characters (lower-case only); and
3) 3 additional alphanumerics (lower-case only) called ‘secret digits’, randomly generated.
The UAS operators shall display their registration number without the secret digits on every unmanned aircraft meeting the conditions described above. A QR code (quick response code) may be used.